Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Watching Grass Grow

Those of you who have had the privilege of visiting our home have seen our garden. It is Out Of Control! And wasn't very well planned by us novice farmers. We will learn... but that is an entirely different post.

This is about a less known area of our yard. The great experiment of a lawn. Grass is a big deal for us. And we dont have any. We have dirt. We have weeds. We have multifamily neighborhoods of birds. We have a big scary tree. But we have no grass.

So we cleared a section of weeds. Planted seeds and steer maniure just like we were told. We watered every two hours like we were supposed to. After a few weeks with no results we basically gave up. I would spray it down with the hose when I would water the garden in the morning if I felt like it, but thats about it.

Then we had a big rain storm and it washed away all our maniuer, so we figured it washed away all our seed too. We thought wrong.

After about three weeks of it raining every day every thing we planted was thriving. A few days ago, I was surprised with the best surprise. Thriving GRASS!!
Sweet, sweet, kentucky bluegrass.

The only problem, though, is there are a few weeds around it...

 Oh... did I say a few weeds?


 I meant the yard is one luscious weed fest.

And after a little more rain....


 
But at least I know I have a little patch of grass somewhere in there to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment