Monday, January 6, 2014

The Best Cold I've Ever Had

I have never had a cold last less than a week and with the worst symptoms where I just want to lay in bed for a couple days. (Those of you that knew me in high school... Remember me having a cold for half of those 4 years?) Until this week. So I need to share.
Just a little intro info... I don't think doterra oils are the only safe oils like they sometimes claim. But they are so popular that it's easier to find information on them. Most of the time with this brand you pay more for less research time, and that's not always a bad thing. I had heard about the family physician kit from doterra that has small bottles of 10 different oils that can be used for daily health issues. There are 6 individual oils and 4 blends. I had heard a lot of good about it and was planning on buying the kit after Christmas. But Travis ended up getting it for me for Christmas... That sneaky bass.
Okay back to that cold. So on New Years Eve I started feeling it and I could tell Ellie was starting to get sick too. First thing I always do when I start to feel sick is pound the orange juice. Then we decided to break out the oils. After about 72 hours of this routine all I had was a runny nose. I'll talk about Ellie in a minute.
Oils for me: peppermint undiluted behind the ears and on the tip of my nose in the middle of the night. I dont think undiluted is recommended but this was when I was up with the babe and too tired for anything else. And I like it better that way for a quick temporary fix for the stuffy nose.
"On guard" blend diluted with almond oil on my feet in the morning and evening. "Breath" blend diluted with almond oil on my chest at night. Sweet orange undiluted in a really steamy shower in the morning and lavender at night. For the shower I just put it in a cup and held it by my face while I showered then when I was done, poured it on the tub floor and let the shower run with hot water for a bit. The aroma filled the bathroom good for a while.
For Ellie we just did the on guard on her feet in the morning and night. I also had her in the bathroom while I showered so she could get the steam and oil aroma. When she was so stuffy that she had a hard time eating we just put the breathe blend on me, undiluted, where she would breathe it but not touch it. It worked awesome! She was up one night crying so hard, she couldn't nurse or lay down because she couldn't breathe through her nose. We tried the snot sucker which moved a little junk (and is the saddest thing in the world to use) then put the breathe blend on me and tried nursing again. After like 5 seconds she was breathing through her nose just fine and ten minutes later asleep. It was awesome.
Today I feel great but the font is still a little stuffed up. Even though she is still a little stuffy I am so happy and grateful for natural healing remedies.
Also... I need to give Travis credit for being the official oil applicator. He is the best.

We love essential oils!

No comments:

Post a Comment