Sunday, July 15, 2012

Crafternoon

The outside of our house is so ugly.

If I didn't live in it I would think that drug addicts did.

No, actually, drug addicts probably live in nicer looking houses.

The inside used to be ugly too, but we have done a lot to change that.

This weekend I decided to take one small step to make the outside nicer.

The mailbox needed help and I took it on.

 The beginning product...


 When I started I thought peeling off the numbers would be the hardest part... it was the easiest.  I learned something about myself during this little project. I am very talented in making things SO much harder than they need to be.


 I sat on the front porch pounding, pulling, twisting and spitting on this for about 10 minutes before I finally gave up and decided it would stay on the box.


 I thought maybe I could get away with just painting it with out doing any sort of sanding or trying to get the sticky stuff off.  As you can see in those bumps, that sort of laziness does not pay off.


 So... it somehow turned out like this.


 Re-paint #1


 I didn't get much out of the DARE program, but I did get this ruler that I have held on to for 15 years. So it came in handy for making the vinyl decorations.

I was planning on doing the chevron design thats really neat right now (conformist)

 Well guess what, the transfer tape for the vinyl peeled off the paint...
You could say I forgot to use common sense on that one.


Not only did the transfer tape pull the paint off, but the vinyl did as well.

Plans changed at this point.

Repaint #2
 I covered the emblem and newspaper racks with tin foil and painted the whole thing aqua..

But the aqua leaked through and so then I had to do the tin foil method reversed and repaint the white. Repaint #3

I cut some vinyl and made Travis supervise putting it on and that was it.


And that was my crafternoon.


1 comment: